Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Pre Trek Preparation and Contingency Planning

PACKING: 

I used a 65 liter bag for this trip.  Lightest stuff was at the bottom (tent (sans poles) and sleeping bag); on top of that was the clothes bag; at the very top of the main pouch was the food and tent poles.  In the flap at the very top of the bag I had a zip locked medical gear bag, a zip locked navigation and electronic equipment bag (at least double bagged!) and a misc gear bag for utility knife, para cord, headlamp, etc.  MAKE SURE YOU PRINT TWO COPIES OF YOUR PAPER MAPS AND PUT ONE IN A ZIPLOCK BAG INSIDE YOUR STURDIEST WET WEATHER BAG just in case disaster strikes.  


NAVIGATION: 

It’s misleading of me to put this section near the bottom of this blog when really it’s probably the most important.  As you’ve likely noted, I not only had a primary navigation system (handheld Garmin) but TWO back-up systems (an iPhone 6 and TWO copies of paper maps and compass)…and it came down to paper at the end.  Anyhow, here’s how I prepped. 
RE: The Garmin.  After combing through a number of different navigation sites and such, I settled on using a site that I had used in the past: GAIA GPS.  GAIA’s online tool was a solid match for this trip as they utilize topographical maps that already had a trail outline. While the outline was basically useless during the river crossing portions and while you’ll inevitably stray from it, it was a good baseline to work from while out in the park.

Using the online tool, I carefully created a route by tracing over the dotted path line already featured on the topographical map. I then exported that route to a .gpx file and loaded the Garmin with it. 

RE: The iPhone. I subsequently loaded the GAIA app on my phone (it’s $20), downloaded all of the map data I would need and then worked off of my iPhone as a backup (eventually the primary when the Garmin failed). 

RE: Paper maps: I then printed two copies of the route / topographical map in sections that allowed me to see details and landmarks.  Ultimately this came out to about 10 pages (20, when doubled).  And also had two printed copies each of cross-section hand drawn map I found online and the overhead EZ trail map listing hide and camp locations.  One of the copies of each of these got double zip lock bagged and went in the bottom of my clothing waterproof bag for safety.  


RE: All of the above: the dotted line really is just a guide.  WRT the river crossings, the lines were always consistently off.  You might start well but lose a trail…or start with nothing and then find a trail.  I’ve been told there are multiple trails that change all of the time due to the terrain here, so just be patient and don’t lose your shit if things aren’t lining up; do your best to keep moving up/down river on the shallow sides or wherever you can find appropriate terrain.  I crossed that river a million offing times, bopping from bank to bank until I caught another piece of a trail.  A guide would know for sure where the best/newest paths might be.  If you’re all alone and the conditions are bad, just be patient.  

Example: You can see from the example image below that even on the topomap the blue line of the river doesn't go where you think it might, winding through the lowest elevations.  You won't know exactly where the river is or where the path should be in relation to it, but you'll know at least that you should be on one side or the other.  Do your best to follow.  I will also add this cautiously: while you'll be directed to make your first river crossing at PUTEH, know that if you poke around a little you'll actually find a path leading out from the camp towards the mountain...it's a less advertised path but it's how I found my way back on the return trip.  Consider looking for that path before you jump right into the water at Puteh. 




CONTINGENCY PLANNING:

EMERGENCY CONTACTS:  I informed two friends and my guesthouse owner of my plans to go into the park solo with the instructions that should I not re-emerge by the end of the 8th day to call the park service and alert them to a lost hiker.  My contacts all knew that in the event that I was lost I would attempt to build a fire and keep it burning all night.

IF I WAS TOTALLY EFFING LOST:  In the event that all went to crap, my absolute last ditch backup plan was to find my way to the river (which, aside from the actual ascent up the mountain) roughly runs alongside the trail and build a raft.  The river runs straight to Kuala Tahan and the park head quarters.  This isn’t a “smart” idea, as the river features some rapids that likely would have caused some serious problems but like I said: last resort.  For this reason, keep one of your rolls of parachute cord untouched and brush up on how to lash logs together - you’ll need to know how in the event that you’re down to your last prayer. 

IF I WAS INJURED:  I was a medic in the army and am pretty handy with building all sorts of splints out of all sorts of material.  You may want to brush up on your “sticks and rags” specifically for ankles and leg bones.  If you’re there when the park is open, then you’ll probably want to wait for rescue; if you’re there as I was when the park was closed, you’ll either have to sit and wait for it to open or, more likely, drop any non-essential gear and limp your way out (or again float yourself down the river…)

No comments:

Post a Comment